So there’s not really a major show going on this week, so I thought I’d spend some time looking at who fighting this week. Who do we need to watch out for? Who has the most potential?
1. Tyron Woodley (7-0)-fresh off his Bully Beatdown appearance, American Top Team’s upstart is on the rise. I watched his last defeat of Andre Galvao and he did something he had never done before. He knocked out his opponent. Before, he had 5 submissions and 1 decision. Now he is developing a more even fighting game. He will be largely unstoppable.
2. Daniel Cormier (6-0)-3 KO’s, 3 submissions. He’s been out of the first round once. This guy’s game is well-grounded and will fight standing up or on the ground. A total beast and worth a view.
3. Ovince St. Preux (9-4)-6 wins in a row. He looked phenomenal in his last decision. Plus, he’s riding momentum from just a month ago. Something tells me we’ll see a lot from this guy in coming years.
4. Julia Budd (1-0)-Still very new in her professional career. She has that enigma of having beaten Gina Carano in the amateur realm.
5. Dustin Ortiz (6-0)-4 submissions, 2 TKO’s. 6 wins all this year. He has never gone to a decision.
Should be the equivalent of WWE Superstars, but it might be fun to watch these fighters “way back when” in a few years.